Wednesday 24 April 2013

Ironman South Africa 2013


8:47:40 Total time
10th position Pro Male out of 50
11th position overall out of +-1650
Swim: 55:21
Bike: 4:44:15
Run: 3:03:13
Transitions: 2:11 / 2:40 (swim to bike / bike to run)
Winners times (Ronnie S): 52:48 / 4:22:01 / 2:53:03 - 8:11:24
Calories total: Swim +-1000 + 3550kcals bike and run = 4550/5000kcals total.
Estimated calories consumed: About 5 gel bottles of First Endurance 140gram (400calories therefore 2000kcal). Several Enervitene Enervit GT Sport energy tablets. Couple slurps coke and one slurp Iron Horse caffeinated energy drink right on the home stretch.. Therefore about 2500kcal consumed and an estimated 1500kcal deficit (possibly more due to the swim being quite cold but this is an unscientific opinion)

2 and a half odd minutes. That's what it potentially comes down to, even in a race nearly 9 hours long. +-2 and a half minutes - my swim split gap to the majority of swimmers in front of me who made it into the large bike pack that formed on the first lap. In other years I have swum with Ronnie Schildknecht and quite often with Lucie Reed and they were bang on 52 odd minutes. A touch away from the 49's of the front swimmers but everyone in that time zone grouped together quite quickly.


But alas, you never really know what may happen in a Triathlon, and that's the beauty of the sport, often overlooked by the casual observer. There are so many elements, namely physical fitness level, strength, quality of training, experience, race tact, bloody mindedness etc etc. And all these factors in only a single race. My simplified view here, is that the more you can reduce your weaknesses and gain strength in training, the more opportunities open up for you during your opponents weaknesses. Yes a lot of the time you are racing against yourself, but when the moment comes when someone challenges you, you want to make sure you've prepared yourself and are stronger in that single moment. Or at least not too weak that when the moment passes you still have the opportunity to regain time when the scales are turned.

In retrospect, I learnt a great deal during this race and particularly in just finishing! It was actually my first only completed Ironman race as a Pro. Last year in 2012, I dnf'd off the bike with stomach and wind issues (and no, not that kind, the 65kph+ kind that blows you off your bike when you use deep dish tri-blade wheels). So this race has helped my confidence and motivation a great deal and I'm super keen to race again, push a little harder, risk a bit more. Ironman racing is a bit like being Icarus, flying towards the sun on melting wings. Unlike Sprint or Olympic distance which you can just redline from start to end, with Ironman its all about dosing your efforts and surges. Not burning too many matches (which of course I love..)

Comparing last years race to this years is like comparing this years after-party beer, which was actually apple cider, to last years lager beer - still beer, different tastes but both get you smashed... In 2012 the elements smashed us. In 2013 we smashed ourselves in almost ideal conditions. I recall last year arriving at the start already soaking wet after a short yet stressful drive down back roads and a long'ish walk in the rain from the car. I was one of few who hadn't thought to put my wetsuit on before leaving the B&B and by the time we got through the crowds, sorted my bike and transition bags, yanked on my 'wet' wetsuit (challenging..) and got to the start line, I was cold, hungry and miserable. Also probably why I swam so well - I was keen to get to my bike bag so I could grab something to eat!

So this year it was a calm sunrise with a very light wind (which the PE locals would probably not even define as a 'wind') and a chilly but pretty calm sea swim. Apparently there were scuba divers under us during the swim and I noticed a larger amount of very active Lifeguards in the sea that morning. Of course Race Organisers were cognisant of the unfortunate fatalities during the swim at Ironman 70.3 in January. I still believe our national race is very well organised and compares well against international races with much higher budgets. Anyway back to the race..

I'm still not sure what happened in the swim but I think that in my attempts to conserve and not burn too many matches in the beginning of the race, I forgot to really max out and properly sprint the start of the swim. You really have to be in the swim pack as a Pro and I was already off the pace at the first buoy, somehow thinking that the few swimmers around me were going to form a mini pack in order to bridge the 10 or 20 meter gap that had formed. That didn't happen as everyone went their own way in the slight currents prevalent on race day. The old adage is true, you can't win an Ironman in the swim, but you can certainly lose it. So that was my first blip on an otherwise good day out. A mediocre swim.. (I was even chicked!)

Interestingly only one athlete (Karol Dzalaj) swam slower than me and finished in front of me, which is positive I guess. After losing the group and trying to group together with anyone, I eventually swam with Twigg. He and I had some poor sighting issues and often went our own ways towards each buoy which didn't help our pacing. On the second lap when we started passing the age groupers who had started 15' behind, we really had to do some dodging and at times I'm not sure how we got through the maze.

In summary I swam 3.9kms (add 100m for beach run in) 55:21. Halfway 1.8kms at 26:58. Swim pace 1:21/100m. 19th position after swim.

After the swim, I lost Twigg in transition while running over the almost gravel like paving - normally my feet are as hard as nails but they must have softened up in the salty sea water. What a poof.. 50 meters odd in front of me, Twigg launched himself on his bike up the M9 like he was doing a 40km TT so I decided to rather settle down into my own pace than risking the fallout from chasing him. I stuck to my race pace range of around 260-290watts for the initial drag up to the downhill highway section, passing a female athlete or two, and was still alone after I caught up to Lucie Reed at the first turn point on the highway.

Just before that I saw the lead bike group of several riders including my BnB mates Kent Horner and Dominik Berger who had been in the lead swim group (low 49's). I should have joined them with the toasted hot cross buns and honey that morning as clearly that was the breakfast of swim champs! I was calculating my gap to the leaders using a group of grazing cows as a landmark just before I was joined by Karol Dzalaj (4:33:48) and Georg Swoboda (4:28:55) who were strong bikers, particularly Georg, as can be seen by his 2nd fastest bike split of the day.

Faris Al Sultan was trying to make a move off the front of the lead group and I also noticed eventual race winner Ronnie Schildnecht at the back, so he had obviously just caught them and made up his deficit of +-2:30 minutes after the swim. After the race I was told by Horst Reichel that he was the only one to try go with Ron when he made his big move but said he couldn't maintain the constant 350watt plus surge. I'd love to see Ron's power file and in particular his start after the swim as he bridged the gap to the lead group and then his surge to drop them all - must be some big numbers!

Another key moment in my race and unfortunately due to a lapse in concentration, was when I was dropped just after Sappershoek Pass. Georg Swoboda put in a big surge just after the last water station on the coastal road stretch that eventually passes the university. I was dozing and by the time I realized he was nailing it, it was too late. I was at 400+ watts into a slight headwind trying to close the gap and only Karol was able to stay with him. I decided to drop back to my pace and keep it steady rather than smash myself so early on.


In hindsight, based on how good I felt at the end of my 4:44 bike, I should have gone with that surge and burnt a match or two. Looking at the splits and how things unfolded later on in the run leg, if I had managed to close that gap and continue to bike with those two, I would have made up my swim deficit time and been much closer at the start of the run. Sure, I would have been more fatigued, but based on my strong run, I am confident that I would have placed much higher overall. Of course as I intimated earlier, its easy to look back after the race and try predict what could have happened. Not so easy in the heat of the race of course...

I was then joined by Nick Baldwin of the Seychelles who had apparently been training with Kyle Buckingham (who won the AG race and nearly broke the amateur IM record). He was apparently doing his first Ironman as a Pro but I noted after the race that he actually raced Kona WC in 2012 and came 2nd in his AG and 40th overall - impressive for a newbie... We continued together till the end of the bike and I pushed a bit in front in the last 20km or so.

Bike stats: 4:44:15 15th position after bike. Ave watts 250 / Normalised power 260 watts / 4500kcal / 38kph ave speed /  Watts per Kg 3.52 - 3.66 / not up to standard..
Pre race goal: 4:30:00 / 260-285 watts / 3.8 - 4 watts/kg. So slightly off but I felt pretty comfortable - I think I have a bit more to burn. I'll be aiming for a higher wattage pacing in my next race while still performing better on the run.

Had a slightly slow transition as I fiddled with my run socks and began to reassess how I was actually going to carry all the energy gels I had planned to consume. Then the moment of all moments came as I ran out towards the run course - cramp - bang! My right hamstring locked into a 90deg bend and a ball of fury lodged itself just above the back of my knee. Quickly, I began stretching my leg out on the stairs just outside the transition tent and I began to think of the podcast I had so closely listened to during one of my longer training rides. It's actually a great triathlon podcast I listen to frequently on long rides (if you'd like to listen - imtalk.me) and the episode I'm referring to was an interview with Jonathan Dugas regarding his scientific findings on 'sports drinks, sweat and electrolytes'.

I'll post the link here so you can get in some extra reading as I'm sure my race report isn't enough.. ( http://www.sportsscientists.com/2007/11/sports-drinks-sweat-and-electrolytes.html )

Basically electrolytes have no effect on athletic performance (as predicted its all marketing hype, just like the whole carbo-loading as well as 'low-fat/high-sugar' thing), cramp is not caused by sodium/salt loss due to excessive sweating or racing in hot climates or solved by taking salt tablets and there is no scientific proof of what actually causes cramp except for general fatigue and/or overdoing it. The advice is that, as athletes, we simply need to 'drink to thirst' so another words you drink once you become thirsty. In endurance sports the advice is that a carbohydrate type sports drink is preferable as that science is clear (phew..) - carbohyrdate ingestion during physical activity and in particular, endurance type sport, will benefit your performance. Should I go back to my race report here? Yes think so..

With all this going through my mind I knew it was up to me to handle the situation so after the mini-stretch session where I had a few fascinated onlookers quite intrigued as to why I was taking a break, I walked for a bit and slowly started trotting towards the run exit. Luckily the cramp dissipated and I began to get into my usual stride once on the course. I must say here that already the crowds were amazing. Being called out by Paul and his MC crew and mentioned as a local boy really got the crowd behind me around the start/finish area - helped stax and much appreciated!


I had Nick in my sights already as I left transition so tapped out a steady 3:40'/km pace. I felt good, may be too good, so contrarily I eased up a bit, knowing that I had a long way to go and reminding myself of my negative split pacing goal. I was getting quite a few 'Woah check that dudes pace..' type comments so I kept thinking well may be I am starting too fast. I predicted Nick must have been running at a 4:20'/km pace as I passed him but I felt confident in my pace and carried on towards my first goal point, the 10km mark. I was going to break up the marathon into 4 x 10km stretches but the 14,03km laps were actually easier to guage. I felt great at 10 so carried on pushing through to 20 using the crowd as extra motivation to keep my pace high.

In my first 15kms my average pace was between 3:51 - 4:03'/km, and somewhere around the 20km halfway mark I saw 1:19:00 on my watch but at that stage I had already begun to slow. I felt strong enough to run faster but my body was just not responding to my 'mental pushing'. Its a strange sensation that you don't feel too often. In training you may run 3:00'/km brick intervals on the track after a hard'ish 80km bike, and they're hard but its manageable. During an Ironman race, you can't even keep it down at 4:00'/km - you lose that bounce or spring and its more of a slow drive by each leg almost like you are counting each tiresome stride. I'll need to work on the 'fatigue maintenance and strength endurance' aspects of my run because pure speed alone doesn't quite cut it here...

My pace dropped to between 4:21 and a pedestrian 4:53 somewhere around the 30km mark. I think I had passed a few athletes but wasn't sure I had seen James Cunnama go off and also didn't see Faris Al Sultan (I'm pretty sure I could spot the only speedo wearing Triathlete on that course..). So I wasn't sure of where I was placed. I decided to carry on pushing hoping more front runners would come unstuck later on in the run. To my surprise Nick Baldwin caught up to me in the last lap - I had slowed up far too much. I think he tried to shake me off in the first few k's of running together, but of course I would have none of that. The pace went up to 4:00'km for a while but then backed down again to 4:30'ish and sometimes slower. I surged once or twice to test Nicks resilience, but he stayed with me each time although I did notice it took him a bit longer after the last one. I also noticed he would stop to walk at each aid station to get some hyrdation and nutrition especially when there were too many age groupers crowding around.


I decided to lay it down up university hill and give one last dig to try shake him off for good. If he came with me, then kudos to him, and it would come down to a sprint finish - the thought of which was less than appealing, especially after nearly 9 hours of racing. Nick pulled into an aid station, desperately trying to grab a coke before the next outstretched hand, and that's when I made my move. I lifted it up to 4'/km and tried to keep it there even up university hill. I didn't look back until the sharp left turn at the university coastal road gate exit and that's when I saw the gap I had managed to open - it wasn't massive but enough to know he wasn't reacting.

Run stats: 3:03:13 4:20'/km pacing / fastest 1km pace 3:40'km / slowest 1km pace 5:00'/km

I enjoyed the last stretch home and especially the crowds whose support was hardly fading even with increasing temperatures. When I rounded the turn before the red carpet and I think Paul announced my name and I heard 'top 10' and 'he's South African' - the crowd erupted! I was really stoked because I was expecting a lower position. It gets pretty emotional down the red carpet and I don't know where the energy comes from as you suddenly find yourself high-fiving, fist pumping and other cramp inducing actions - its crazy. What a race. All the months of training and built up race anxiety and nervousness comes out on that red carpet. And for me almost immediately I'm already thinking of how I'll go faster next time. Where I need to improve - crazy - need to soak it up more next time...

I must mention some stand out performances:
Ronnie Schildknecht for taking the race win in 8:11:24 with a 4:22 race winning bike split. He must have drilled the bike from the start to cut his 2:30 minutes or so swim deficit as well as breaking away from the main bike pack. To still hold a solidly paced run and make sure Cyril Viennot and Bas Diederen (who both had excellent runs) didn't catch him, was impressive. He's one to watch at Kona.
Ladies winner Jessie Donovan in biking and running her way patiently from a nearly 15' deficit off the bike - bad luck to Jodie Swallow who looked like she would smash the ladies record after those swim and bike splits!
Lucie Reed, in third, for digging deep on her run and holding on to a very impressive podium.
Garth Wright for racing for this worthy charity:  http://www.ironman4thekidz.co.za/
Greg Black (@imblacky1 and @hopeforGeorge on twitter) for completing the race for George's charity.
Nicky and Kevin Garwood for becoming Ironmen.
Ronnie S (again!) for giving his Ironman race winning trophy to Nicky Garwood after the awards ceremony - a great gesture from a true Champ.
Family, friends, supporters and sponsors.
PE and all the Organizers and Volunteers for making IMSA such an inspirational event - Thank You all and Well Done!
And lastly to all the Ironman virgins before April 14th - you are now an 'Ironman!'
And lastly yet most importantly, to Nini for supporting me on the roadside, staying cheerful through a long day as a spectator as well as months of training - living with an Ironman is no easy feat!

I'm now 124th out of 400 odd Ironmen vying for Kona WC qualification. I'm trying to plan the rest of the season and whether I'm going to take the plunge and go do a few races overseas and chase after Kona qualification points. I've been sick with flu for a good week after the race, which isn't helping, but I'll need to make some decisions soon. I also need to put all those new training plans into action...

Thanks very much for reading my blog and if you posted or messaged me after the race - thank you - I appreciate all the kind encouraging words. It means a lot. ciao ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment